Social media can be blessing as it keeps you connected to relatives and friends living across the country, but it can also be a curse. Social media is sometimes referred to as a “gateway drug”, getting you addicted to your phone and always having to stay connected. Thankfully, you can “disconnect to reconnect” with the real world through a vacation! Unplugging from the World Wide Web can bring you many health, mental, and relationship benefits.
Breaks from social media have been proven to increase sleep quality during vacation and even after your return home. Also, it can improve memory and productivity upon your return to work. Those who have successfully removed themselves from the social media realm claim to also feel increased self-identity upon completion, this being a great benefit for mental wellness.
You worked so hard to earn the money you spent on this vacation, so don’t miss out on a single moment of it. Don’t worry about pleasing other people with your vacation, please yourself! Spend time doing things you enjoy and reflecting on these events personally instead of through apps. Taking a break from your phone can increase the quality of your family time and help you remember what life was like before smart phones. Spend your vacation time looking up at the beauty around you versus looking down at your phone.
If you are like most people and find it difficult to actually disconnect from your phone on vacation, we have a few helpful tips.
- Put your phone on airplane mode. This will allow you to still take photos of all the wonderful memories you are making!
- Delete social media apps. This will take away the temptation to occasionally peak at your news feed (they can be easily re-downloaded after vacation).
- Vacation to a remote location where there is little cellphone and internet reception.
- Set up an automated e-mail reply stating that you will be out of the office.
- Finally, let AurTravel set up activities and dinner reservations for you prior to your departure. This way you won’t have to worry about the stress of using your phone to figure out plans during the time you’re supposed to be unwinding and relaxing.
If you are ready to unplug from social media and reconnect with the world surrounding you, call AurTravel today at (402) 891-6909 to book your next vacation.